Help Link

You are here

Loan Counseling

All students who receive federal student loans are required by federal regulations to complete the Annual Student Loan Acknowledgment, a Master Promissory Note and Entrance Interview, The Office of Student Financial Services can assist all students with their federal requirements,

The Bursar's Office is responsible for all non-federal student loan entrance and exit loan counseling that is required before a loan is disbursed and when a student leaves school.

Entrance Counseling 

All students awarded Non-Campus Based and/or Campus Based Loans must complete entrance counseling before funds disburse to students’ accounts.  Entrance Counseling provides you with information about:

  • Your rights and responsibilities as a borrower
  • Interest rates, expenses, repayment plans, and other important details about borrowing
  • Who to contact with questions:

Perkins Loans entrance counseling is completed once as a first time borrower at Temple University. Click here for instructions to complete your Perkins Loan entrance counseling.

Health Professions, Nursing  and Institutional/Long-Term University Student Loans must complete entrance counseling each year the loan is awarded.  Click here for instructions to complete your entrance counseling.

Click here for Non-Campus Based loan entrance counseling.

Exit Counseling

Federal regulations and Temple University policy require that students who borrow a student loan must complete exit counseling before leaving school (graduate) or drop below half-time (6 credits). This requirement is in place so that you will receive essential information regarding your rights and responsibilities as a student loan borrower. You will receive information about the types of loans you received, when and where to make your payments, what to do if you cannot make your payment and what can happen if you do not make your payments and default on your obligation.

Exit counseling may be completed online. To complete your counseling, locate the type of loan(s) you borrowed and follow the link indicated. 

Students who fail to complete exit counseling will have a hold placed on their records. Holds restrict all University services, including registration, releasing transcripts and diplomas.

Federal Direct Loans

  • Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
  • Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan


If you borrowed any of these loans, you can complete exit counseling on line by visiting and logging into the website.

Select the "Exit Counseling" link. Click the "Start" button beneath "Loan Exit Counseling." Follow the instructions to complete the counseling.

Campus Based Loans

  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • Health Professions Student Loan
  • Nursing Student Loan
  • Primary Care Loan
  • University Loan
  • Medical Loan

If you borrowed any of these loans,  you can complete exit counseling online.

Students having loans listed in both categories shown must complete an Exit Interview for each link.

If you have questions, contact the Credit and Collections department at 215-204-5549 or